What Do I Do if I’m Involved in an Accident?
What if I’m at the Scene of an Accident?
When you’re at the scene of an accident, you need to take some basic steps:
- Stop your vehicle. If you’re involved in an accident you must stop. Panicking and driving away is the worst thing you can do.
- Stay calm and take care of anyone who is injured. Move your car away from passing traffic.
- If there is significant damage or someone is injured, call 911 and wait for police to arrive.
- Gather information from everyone involved including names, addresses, and phone numbers – that includes any passing witnesses. Exchange insurance information with anyone involved in the collision.
- You may have to fill out a police report at the scene.
- If your car is not driveable, you will have to get it towed to a nearby repair shop. For reliable service, choose Wheaton Chevrolet’s certified Body Shop.
What About My Insurance Claim Process?
- The first step is to report your accident to your insurance company. You will need all of your information available, as well as that of the other party.
- Your insurance adjuster will later contact you and take a statement. They will also set up an appointment.
- Wheaton Chevrolet will appraise the damage incurred to your vehicle. If the damage is excessive, consider working with your insurance company to write off the damage. If this is the case, we can help you buy a new vehicle that will meet your needs.
- If your vehicle is repairable, we will submit a full receipt of repairs needed that you can submit to your insurance company. You can then leave your vehicle at the Wheaton Chevrolet body shop. We will provide you with a courtesy ride, free pickup and delivery.
If you have any questions, feel free to Contact Wheaton Chevrolet and we will help guide you through the insurance claim and repair process.